This popcorn is so simple to make but so delicious! You can bring it for a snack at a get together or with Valentines Day coming up, put it in little bags with a cute gift tag that says, “I love you so much I could POP!”
Or just make it for you and the family as a special movie treat. The fun thing about M&M’s is they come out with special holiday colors so you can always coordinate it with the occasion. In the photo above I decided to add more color by using purple candy melts instead of white chocolate chips. You can find colored candy melts at Michael’s.
Below is the original recipe.
First you pop 2 bags of popcorn
and pour them into a very large bowl. Then you melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips with a big spoonful of shortening (helps it melt better without burning).
I melted my chocolate in the microwave in increments of 30 seconds, stirring after each time. This also prevents it from getting overheated and burnt (believe me on this one). When it is melted, you pour it over you popcorn.
Then using a spaghetti spoon and my hand I tossed the popcorn to get it completely coated in the white chocolate.
Then comes the peanut butter M&M’s in valentine colors
Try to toss that evenly throughout the popcorn as well. I pour some extra on top because the top never seems to have enough 🙂 And viola!
The chocolate will need to harden. You can let it sit or stick it in the fridge to speed it up!
- 2 bags of popcorn (the regular butter kind is what I used. You don’t want the butter overpowering the chocolate)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 bag peanut butter M&M’s
- Large bowl
- Pop the 2 bags of popcorn and pour them into your large bowl.
- Melt 1 cup white chocolate chips with 1 heaping Tablespoon of shortening (use more if needed) in 30 second increments until melted.
- Pour on top of popcorn and toss to coat.
- Add the peanut butter M&M’s and toss evenly as well.
- Let sit until chocolate hardens or put in fridge for a few minutes to speed up the process.
*Note: If you decide to use colored candy melts instead of white chocolate chips, you don’t need to add the shortening. They should melt great without it!