I made these cupcakes to give to some friends at a birthday dinner (yes I made my own birthday cupcakes. But baking really isn’t Nate’s thing so what are ya gonna do?). I saw the idea on Pinterest and they sounded tasty! I first just made Dark Chocolate Fudge cupcakes from a cake mix. Then I followed the frosting recipe I found. Here is a little demonstration:
Here’s the cake mix I used, along with my Kitchen-aid mixer:
And here are the cupcakes out of the oven
The chocolate malt frosting called for butter, shortening, malted milk powder, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar (the butter and shortening are already in the bowl)
You first whip the shortening and butter for a few minutes until light and fluffy
Then you add the malted milk powder and cocoa powder and let that mix for a minute. Next comes the powdered sugar. The recipe said to slowly add 5 cups of powdered sugar a spoonful at a time. I did not use 5 cups. I added a spoonful until I liked the taste and consistency. It was probably around 3 1/2-4 cups.
My Kitchen-aid mixer has a clear shield that goes around the top of the bowl with a hole to add things in while its mixing. This was very helpful when I was adding the powdered sugar!
When the frosting was to my liking, I scooped it into the corner of a large zip lock bag, snipped the corner and piped it on my chocolate cupcakes. And for the final touch I added 3 chocolate Whoppers.
Here is the frosting recipe I used from http://thatwinsomegirl.blogspot.com/2010/12/chocolate-malt-cupcakes.html
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 cups confectioner sugar (I used less)
- Chocolate Covered Malt Balls (Whoppers)
- In large mixer bowl, whip the butter and shortening for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar a few spoonfuls at a time, letting it incorporate until the frosting becomes thick and stiff.
- Fill bag with the frosting and pipe large swirls on top of cupcakes. Top with Whoppers.